Enterprise Vault for Exchange

The boys over at Symantec (www.symantec.com) just came by last week and gave us an interesting presentation on Enterprise Vault.  (Not to be confused with the Vault extension for NetBackup, which is a different beast)

The short answer is this.  EV is an application that dives into your exchange environment and strips out any email/attachments over (x) days old.  It then creates an HTML view copy of it and stores the original out of the Exchange information store in Tier-2 storage.  Then, after an even longer period, say a couple of years or so, you can even stage it from Tier-2 (say slow disks like Clariion ATA) to Tier-3 (Tape) storage.

The cool part is, that there is a header file that stays in the user’s email that shows that it’s a vaulted email.  If they double click to open it like the would a normal email, it figures out where it is, and if it’s in Tier-2 storage it brings it up, if it’s in Tier-3 storage, it sends a tape request to the appropriate person so the tape can be recalled from off-site storage and restored.

For companies that have to retain data for 20+ years, how bloated can an email infrastructure get?  I’ve got 90G in my information store after the first year, and it’s only going to get worse from this point on.

Though I’ll bet EMC is frothing at the mouth at the idea. 😉

10 comments

Skip to comment form

• on December 7, 2006 at 5:33 am

Jesse,

About two or three years ago I looked at implementing a Commvault Data ARchiver for Exchange that did exactly what your talking about here. It looked a great tool and ahead of its time in my opinion. We were the European arm of a US listed company and becoming subject to SOX. The product looked excellent and was our choice, however, the company would not pay for the solution as they were haggling trying to riggle out of SOX compliance as we were the European arm of the business.

We never did get round to implementing it while I was there – big shame I liked the product. Keep us up to date if you do install it.

Nigel

• on December 7, 2006 at 3:26 pm

Probably, especially when EMC could have sold you EmailXtender instead.
    Which they’ve been selling since back when they bought Legato.

• on December 7, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Forgot the link.

1. We’re not publically traded, so SOX doesn’t apply to us. However being a financial institution has it’s own requirements.

Our EMC team knows better than to bring Legato products through our doors. I went through training on the Legato “Avalon” product – during which even the instructor, who was on te development team for Avalon, couldn’t get it working.

I then went back to my boss, at the time I was working for a consulting firm, and told him that if we take a single Avalon engagement from EMC that I would quit.

We did, but I didn’t get sent on it – the guy who did came back and quit. 😉

• on December 9, 2006 at 9:39 am

I mentioned this before, and I’m going to keep on saying it until it sinks in. Avalon was a separate company acquired by EMC in 2000. Legato was purchased in 2003. There was no “Legato” Avalon product. Marketing might have slapped a label on it but it was not a Legato product.

2. You’re sure you’re talking about Avalon? They did aquire the Avaiion Server line in 2000 when they aquired DataGeneral, but I’m fairly certain AvaLon used to be a legato ILM product.

I know this because I still have one of the folders from the software distribution with Legato stamped all over it.

• on December 15, 2006 at 8:25 pm

EMC purchased the Avalon Consulting Group and the Avalon product line in August 2000, the product team began reporting in through Legato after it was orphaned when the media solutions group was torn down.

Here’s the press release announcing the deal:

I’m not referring to the Aviion (novA ii) server line into the back of whose head Mike R. (rightly) put two bullets.

3. I stand corrected – I still however have a “Legato Avalon” media kit floating around here somewhere. 😉

Maybe they realized what a pile of crap it was and decided not to associate it as closely with EMC.

• on December 16, 2006 at 1:04 am

Yeah well, we all have our skeletons.

4. Yes, I remember those days. 😉